March 9, 2008

Be Photogenic

One day, I received a call from my dear friend, Dave Gaffke - the founder of the Complete Wedding Expo. He asked if I could photograph a wedding for Nancy Fraser's daughter. Nancy has been working for Dave as a stage manager for the expo's fashion show for several years. Her daughter, Amy, was getting married. When Nancy approached Dave for his opinion about wedding photographer, Dave highly recommended me. Soon after, I met with Nancy for a consultation and was hired.

Congratulations Amy and Ryan
Wedding Photography by Amie Hana
www.amiephotography.com

Locations: Lindenhurst and Bolingbrook

Starting time: I normally begin my photography coverage when bride is getting ready. In this case, I started my day at the Fraser's house. Amy, the bride, was amazingly easy to photograph.
Lighting: This is one of my favorite picture. Beautiful lighting from the patio door makes this picture looks soft and intimate.
Uninterrupted: After a moment, I moved myself behind Amy quietly without interruption and got another great image.Family Portrait: The Fraser family is fun and energetic. They want some fun pictures for family portrait, so I put them in front of their house and simply ask them to have fun and be natural.
The Groom: After coverage at the Fraser's house, I drove to the groom's house, which was only 15 minutes away. Ryan, the groom wanted his portrait with a cigar. I shot this picture in high angel to avoid busy background of the home's backyard.
A thousand words: Special moment of Amy and her grandmother.
Another capturing moment.
Wide Angle: I used wide angle lens in this small dressing room to get a dramatic effect. This professional lens enabled me to shoot in available light to add mood to this picture.
Story : Every moment worths capturing, even this one.
Speed: I saw the maid of honor was getting emotional before walking down the aisle. I lifted up my camera with fast move and got this shot while she was wiping her tears. A bounced flash from white ceiling creates a soft spreading light enough to cover all three people.
Capturing: A nice documentary picture of Dave Gaffke while he was helping out at the church as the wedding planner.
Real moment: Picture of father and daughter just before walking down the aisle.
Story telling: Documenting walking down the aisle moment as it happens.
Priceless: The moment you can't afford to miss. Mother of the bride gives her a congratulation kiss after the ceremony.
Be invisible: Staying unnoticed gives me opportunities to capture real moment. Capturing: As a photojournalist, I don't really pose couples. I prompt and direct them in ways that they feel comfortable and natural.
Attitude: I saw Amy walking to the Limousine lifting up her white gown, revealing her garter. I ran over and snapped a few shots very quickly. This picture below is very cute. Her slightly blurred left leg giving the image a sense of movement.
High Fashion: "I intend to bring glamor to contemporary wedding photography. I just want brides to see in their wedding photography the type of photographs they see in the wedding magazines."
Mood of Light: Photographing an event reception does not mean you always have to use flash. In this case, I want to showcase the mood and the ambiance of the room. With experience and ability to shoot in low light, I take advantage of the tiny video light (from the left) to lit the couple and adjust my camera setting accordingly.
Again, I captured this image in low light. A slow shutter speed shows Amy's moving hand while touching Ryan with adorn love.
I had to use flash here to freeze the constant fast movements.
Videographer: I never have problem working with any videographer. I guess it's easier for me as I am flexible and friendly by nature. I always introduce myself to videographer when we first meet. In general, most photographers do not want videographer straying into their frames at any point or ever. But I don't have that problem. Sometimes I would include videographer in my shot. As seen in this picture below, the videographer was captured at the background, giving a sense of realism in documentary.
Special Edition Wedding Gown: Another fun shot that gives you a real sense how fun the night was. The special "White Sox" wedding gown is the exclusive design from Dave Gaffke.
Capturing Night Light: When dazzling DJ's disco light turns on, instead of using a blast flash with white light, I sometimes I prefer to photograph in ways I can capture the cool colorful ambiance.